20 QUESTIONS TO HELP YOU FIND THE BEST MOVER
When it comes to hiring movers, the more research you do early on, the fewer headaches you’ll experience on moving day. The best way to find reliable movers is to ask lots of questions and get everything in writing.
- Can you give me references of satisfied customers?
- How long has your company been in business?
- What do you consider extra services and how much do you charge for them?
- Is your company licenced for provincial and interprovincial transport?
- How do you determine the weight of my shipment?
- For a local move, how does your company charge: by the hour, number of movers or weight?
- What kind of liability coverage does your company provide?
- Who does the packing and loading?
- Are workers covered by workers’ compensation and public liability insurance?
- Was I given all necessary documentation, including the signed contract?
- Do you charge extra for travel time to and from my house?
- What kind of cancellation policy do you have?
- How can I pay for the move?
- How do you pack items with special requirements, such as electronics, glassfronted furniture, antiques and musical instruments?
- Do you guarantee pickup and delivery dates? What happens if you miss one or both?
- What kind of inventory system do you use?
- How much of the work can I do myself?
- If I do the packing myself, are there restrictions on the types of boxes or utility totes I can use? Will this save me money?
- What supplies do you provide? What’s included? What items do I pay for?
- How do you handle disputes and complaints?